Global Health College offers a part-time Medication Aide Program that prepares students to take the Medication Aide Certification Exam (MACE). It is a 5-week timeframe. The total program is 68 clock hours of which 48 hours are lecture-based classroom learning and 20 hours are clinical, hands-on training. Global Health College’s Medication Aide Program is certified by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) and approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing (VBN).
The graduate of this program will be able to:
- Safely administer medication to patients
- Identify and demonstrate procedures for medication administration with accurate documentation
- Identify and demonstrate proper procedures for storage and disposal of medications
- Recognize and identify special issues in medication administration
- Identify and perform insulin injection administration
- Utilize their increased understanding and knowledge of pharmacology in their work
Employment Outlook & Earning Potential
The Medication Aide Program provides individuals with additional expertise to pursue opportunities with increased earning potential. The salary for Medication Aides ranges from $22,000 for up to 5 years’ experience to $28,000 for up to 20 years.* Many certified Medication Aides continue their career path and obtain additional credentials to become Medical Assistants with an increased salary potential of up to $4,000 a year. They can also pursue a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse which enables them to earn up to $14,000 more a year.*
*Data Source: PayScale.com Salary Survey.